Life in a ...Metro

Now…..this is what I call perfect beginning of another Monday….late again!!! Mondays are supposed to be bad so here I am staring at my cell that is showing 8:15 instead of 7. But how late will I be when there are frequent buses and after all I am in a big city!! Hey, this is not the time to think, get up lazy bones and get ready for another day is what I convince myself with and reach the bus stop late than usual.
“Why are roads so dirty these days?”…”Back to office after weekend? :( ” … “How happy she looks sitting comfortably in bus, will I get a seat?”…”see those guys hanging from bus…can’t they think of their safety? Guys!!” … “Kiran Tiffins” … “Sai Kirana Stores” … “Sankar Men’s ‘Beauty’ Parlour….weird!!?!!” …….hello…..get your train of thoughts back to reality. But what is one supposed to do when you have been waiting for a bus on “Monday morning” for more than 30 min.
hey!! Is that 18K?? a completely packed bus owing to it being the only one in my route, tilted on to one side coz of people hanging on to the bus at the footboard and making you praise Ashok Leyland for making so ruff & tuff buses for Indian roads. Yup!! That’s the bus I have to take. Let’s see, with 8 people on footboard and a completely packed bus, on an average at this time of morning 5 people ready to get down and 8 to get in, probability of me getting a chance without having to force my way seems rare( Analytics mind at work. Can’t help, that’s what I do 10 hrs a day). …………….. This part of my life is called being in my control despite the crowd, the heat and being in a bus which is tilted and also when u had to fight ur way into the bus and stepped on water clogged due to yesterday’s rain. And to add to it, Traffic!!! Big City!!
4 Km in 30 minutes……says it all! And here I am back in AC and sharing my agony with all. But its not all about negativity after all. How can I forget those helping hands who passed my ticket back to me from the conductor without having to move through that crowd from one end to the other, those who adjusted coz I felt uncomfortable standing in the crowd and the same crowd that taught me patience (being optimist..I know!! :)).
Well every city has something good to its credit, am just discovering. But every time I have to wait in long queue to get ticket at local railway station or get stuck in traffic, strange but I smile and say to myself, this is Chennai…..Welcome to the METRO!!!

Comments

Swathi said…
wowwwww!!!! wat a creative way of putting very common things!! I think v shud define creativity dis way - "making sumthing wonderful out of nothing" gud going Shobha.. u hv given a new definition to creativity... shal w8 for more updates on ur blog... keep rocking dear :)
MANISH KUMAR said…
Bangalore is better :) :) :)
so blogging is becoming obsession.. ?????
Sankar Deiva said…
well..first of all..thanks..am very defensive abt chennai :)
its nice the way uve described the woes of a mind that insists on getting distracted..(well..as a critic..i would have to say that the fact that this is a city has nothing to do with it..its a universal phenomenon)..
ofcourse the best thing abt ur post(in my opinion) is u mentioning the people who are helping and considerate..afteral...its the people who make a place..if we like them, then we like the place,tilted bus or otherwise..hope u continue to like madras :)
hahah ! Come to Pune, you'll write a longer blog :) The waiting time here might exceed, not to mention, the buses with an overwhelming crowd.
Delhi is even more worst than chennai i suppose!!!shud b adopted to all these gr8 thngz....dats wat u told naa....Gud optimist u are!!
Dexter Sam said…
i never liked chennai!! but.. its nice to read the story.. guess every place is only as good as we make it to be! :) nice post.. sweet one as i said!
Anitha Reddy said…
hey shobha...come on chennai is not so bad...+ve attitude kya??gud keep it up.
Fighter said…
Hahaaa...interesting post, funny also. I like the way u write about the most routine things in life in an interesting way..!!!

In btw, this is Raghu, jus wandered off into ur blog..

Have fun,
Raghu
http://360.yahoo.com/raghavenderb4u

Popular Posts